It’s difficult to manage things up in the air. Obviously, when an aircraft is cruising at a good height it is hard for the crew members to fix anything like speedometer instantly or replace the aircraft tachometer in an emergency. All these things are important for an airplane and technicalities related to them must be seen while on the ground. Your little ignorance towards these essential elements can put life in danger. That is why pre-flight inspections are necessary. Such a checklist will ensure the safety of both the passengers and the aircraft and will lead to a safe air travel. So whether you are a full-scale aircraft pilot or an RC pilot, make sure you have inspected your aircraft well before piloting it to its destination.
The aircraft is a complicated piece of technology that is needed to be understood well. Don’t forget you are flying and as a pilot, you are responsible for everybody’s safety.
Considering it as a risky affair, here are a few things every pilot should do before taking off the plane:
• Please, Go Through The Logbooks, It’s Really Important: Before you get ready to fly, do check the aircraft’s logbook properly. Even if the plane has been thoroughly inspected, it doesn’t mean it’s technically airworthy. So make sure it’s been properly signed off in the logbook. Don’t forget, flying an unairworthy aircraft is dangerous.
• Keep An Exact Weather Observation With You For A Safe Flying: Having an access to official weather briefing is crucial. You must know the prevailing weather conditions in different areas of your flight so that the legality and performance parameters of the takeoff can be verified beforehand.
• A Quick Check Of The NOTAMs And TRFs Affecting Your Route: Be sure to get briefed on these before you takeoff because once you are in the air and you have not been informed about these, nobody can stop you from breaking a NOTAM or busting a TRF.
• Proper Fueling Is Another Important Factor For A Secured Air Operation: Make sure you have enough fuel reserves for a safe flight. This will be highly beneficial in case of a cross country or overnight trips. Also, check the weight and balance of your aircraft properly.
• Next Is The Performance Calculation Of The Aircraft: This is one of the most important pre-flight checks as it will make you aware about the functionality of the aircraft under different situations like how it will operate when it is hot, high or heavy. Therefore, just don’t forget to calculate the aircraft’s performance.
• Just Don’t Ignore The Exterior Inspection Of The Aircraft: Anything that looks mechanically unsound on the exteriors of the plane must get instantly checked. Carefully inspect the wrinkled surfaces, missing rivets or fasteners, wings, flaps, hinges, aviation tachometers, tires or anything that doesn’t appear right. All your doubts must be cleared before flying.
Unexpected issues can arise at any time but ignoring the ones that can be easily handled is directly putting yourself at risk in the air. So perform the pre-flight checks with all your heart and stay safe.